Tows overpower Quins to remain on title course

James Falvey
James Falvey

Towcestrians easily overcame another hurdle on their way to the South West One East title when they beat Oxford Harlequins 34-3.

Tows knew they faced a tough test at home this week against a team that, historically, has caused them problems.

Playing with a howling wind and driving rain at their backs, it was important to get off to a fast start in front of the large vice president’s day crowd but Quins were first to put points on the board through a Hugh Dimond penalty.

Home full-back James Falvey levelled things up a few minutes later with a penalty of his own, though, and Tows then took the initiative, driving the heavier Quins pack over their own line for Craig Holton to touchdown for the game’s first try.

Tows stepped up gear, running the ball back in difficult conditions leading to Quins preventing a scoring pass going to hand by a deliberate knock on for a penalty try before Ben Roe’s strong run put him in under the posts and Tows turned around 22-3 to the good.

In the earlier game of the season, away at Oxford, the Quins came back from a similar position to level the game and now playing into the elements, it was imperative that Tows did not let that happen again.

The next score would be a crucial one and it came after a moment of brilliance from Tows left-winger Matt Yuill. Quins cleared their lines to the halfway for Yuill to gather, stepping off his right foot, he slipped the kick chasers and then outpaced the cover to score in the corner for a fine individual try.

Quins responded with their strongest period of the game, pinning Tows on their own line with a series of five metre scrums and line-outs but the home side defended valiantly and after absorbing all the away side’s pressure, Tows put the game to bed when Alex Chalcraft collected a Quins kick ahead, found his left wing partner Yuill who broke through and fed back to the supporting Chalcraft to score under the posts and cement the victory.

The victory sees Tows 14 points clear at the top of the league with seven games remaining and after going through in both the County Cup competitions, the strength of the squad will be tested during the run in, starting this Saturday at home to Windsor in the league.

Tows IIs continued their domination of local sides with a 58-5 mauling of Market Harborough and in the Referees Cup, Tows Colts beat Old Scouts.