Robins set for Vase test after win over Rangers

editorial image

FOOTBALL: Buckingham Town scrambled home against table proppers Northampton Sileby Rangers 3-2 last Saturday and by the end were relieved to hear the final whistle.

Perhaps the Buckingham players had one eye on Saturday’s big Vase game at Diss Town, and were intent on saving themselves but it meant they lived dangerously, particularly in the second period of this UCL Division One contest.

Buckingham led 1-0 at the interval through James Wardell’s 22nd minute left-footed volley, his seventh goal in 11 appearances.

But second half goals by Town’s Ben Shepherd and substitute Nick Bines, with two from Sileby’s Eddie Stewart, made it a nailbiting finish.

Kyle Stimpson was replaced by Chris Robson after the break and a pinpoint pass by him saw Shepherd score his first league goal of the season on 60 minutes.

Despite their lead Town became sloppy and they started to hand the initiative to Sileby, who made it 2-1 through Stewart’s 76th minute goal.

Passes continued to go astray from Town as Sileby turned on the pressure looking for an unlikely win.

Substitute Nick Bines came to the rescue when he hit the post on 90 minutes and fired home the rebound for 3-1, but the drama wasn’t over yet.

A minute into time added on Buckingham conceded a penalty. for a push in the box Matt Bines made a great save and then parried the follow-up shot but couldn’t prevent Stewart from scoring at the third attempt. Seconds later the final whistle sounded to Town’s relief.

It was Buckingham’s first win at the Winslow ground and propelled them up the table to 13th with games in hand on the leading teams.

Robins’ boss Kit Bamber said afterwards: “All in all it was n’t a great performance and at times we lost our shape but saying that we set out to get three points and that is what we achieved.”

Buckingham Town: M. Bines, Menday, Diamond, Kasprzyk, Phillips, Riley, Sands, Lee, Stimpson Shepherd, Wardell. Subs: Robson, N.Bines,

This Saturday Town make the 110-mile trip to Norfolk to play Ridgeons League side Diss in the FA Vase second round, following wins against Ascot United and Winslow United, kick-off 3pm.

>A bus will be leaving the Total Garage in Buckingham at 10.30am on Saturday for the trip to Diss. Tickets cost £10 and will be on a first come first served basis.