Thame edge nervy win over Buckingham

editorial image

Buckingham Town 1st XV suffered their first defeat of the season after being edged out by one wicket against Thame in a thrilling encounter.

Buckingham appeared to be heading for a strong score when well-placed at 118-5 but a calamitous collapse saw them all out for 121.

Despite that, Town were on the verge of victory when they restricted Thame to 80-8 in reply but two frustrating final wicket partnerships saw Thame over the winning line.

The result means Buckingham are now sixth in Cherwell Cricket League Division One.

Having been put into bat on a damp wicket, Buckingham made a poor start when Ian McStay removed Ashley Pearson for one.

However, Ben Laycock (17) and Matthew Thatcher (8) survived the rest of the early overs to move the score onto 40 before both were dismissed.

At 46-3 Buckingham looked in some trouble but Shane Williams (28) and Jack Parish (10) began to rebuild the innings with a brisk 33 partnership.

Again Buckingham lost two wickets in quick succession, leaving the score at 85-5, and only a quick-fire 31 from 36 balls by Simon Myatt took Buckingham into three figures as the final four batsmen all failed to get off the mark in a total of 121.

Matt Higgs (5-26) and Sam Lachlan (4-46) did the damage.

Knowing early wickets would be vital, Buckingham’s opening bowlers made early inroads into the Thame reply as Jack Parish and Jason Ell reduced the visitors to 19-3.

Further tight bowling from the home side continued to frustrate Thame as Parish and James Gear left Thame in trouble at 42-5.

Higgs and Lachlan (26) went about rebuilding the innings with a partnership of 23, but when Higgs was given out LBW to Gear, Thame still required 42 runs with two wickets remaining.

However, George Patey and Lachlan added 29 runs to leave Thame needing 13 runs for victory and they squeezed to the target thanks to Patey (8 not out) and McStay (5 not out).

Buckingham took 10 points from the match, and they visit Shipton-under-Wychwood this weekend.